WHITESIDE COUNTY AIRPORT BOARD
2018 Meeting Dates
All regular Whiteside County Airport Board meetings are conducted at the Whiteside County Airport Terminal at 5:00 p.m. unless otherwise denoted, posted or published in the News & Events portion of this website. Special meeting dates will be posted in the News & Events portion of this website.
SQI Airport Beacon
Rotating beacon motor and light replaced in 2016.
What We've Achieved
- Tree project is nearing completion. Tree trimming around the airport was necessary to comply with FAA regulations in regards to instrument approaches and obstacles in and around the approach corridor.
- Updated several hangar lower door boots to prevent water, snow, ice, and other debris from entering the hangars.
- Precision Approach Path Indicators (PAPI) lights installed for Runway 7.
- Distance Measuring Equipment (DME) added to our Instrument Landing System (ILS) approach in October 2107.
- Repainted and repaired the exterior of Terminal Building.
- Repaired automatic gates for ramp access.
- Installed new septic tank and drain field. Work Completed July 2017.
- Built new hangar (#6).
IDOT Transportation Improvement Program (TIPs)
From IDOT's website:
Each year, the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) develops the Annual Proposed Airport Improvement Program. It is designed to provide an overview of the airport improvement program, as well as a current listing of all airport projects programmed for the next federal fiscal year in an effort to inform the general public and aid local transportation stakeholders and business partners in specific planning activities.
For Fiscal Year 2018, the Illinois Department of Transportation’s Proposed Airport Improvement Program includes projects at airports throughout the state to ensure continued safe and efficient operations at these facilities, as well as maximizing opportunities for economic development in Illinois. Justified and eligible projects are selected from the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) submittals and evaluated based on the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) National Priority Rating (NPR) and need. The FAA provides the State of Illinois the preliminary federal programming levels annually for programming purposes. The Annual Proposed Airport Improvement Program does not reflect all known airport needs and deficiencies, but primarily those that have been identified by airport sponsors, the FAA, and IDOT, and found to be consistent with IDOT’s goals.
Limited resources require an airport project evaluation system that maximizes available funds while keeping consistent with national, state, and local community needs. In order to make the best use of the limited state and federal airport development funds, the Illinois Department of Transportation (Department) follows a FAA’s National Priority Rating (NPR) system that allows the Department to identify projects that meet present system needs. Current project priorities are:
- Safety: Projects needed to make the airport facilities safe for aircraft operations.
- Preservation: Projects to preserve the functional or structural integrity of the airport.
- Standards: Projects required to bring the airport up to design standards for current aircraft using the facility.
- Upgrade: Projects required to allow the airport to accommodate larger aircraft which can carry more passengers or cargo.
- Capacity: Expansion projects required to accommodate more aircraft at peak times.
Following these priorities, the Department is able to assist local communities in providing an environment that meets current state and/or federal safety standards, preserving the existing airport infrastructure, and encouraging economic growth by assisting airport sponsors with new development and expansion projects where a clear and demonstrated need exists.
Upcoming Proposed TIPs Projects
2018: Planning: Wildlife Hazard Assessment Study
2018: Rehabilitation of Taxiway C and D
2019: Currently no projects planned
2020: Rehabilitation of Runway 7/25